Saturday, February 4, 2012

comfy saturday.

Slept in today, had some apple cinnamon steel cut oats that I put in the slow cooker before I went to bed last night, and now I'm sitting on my couch watching Beautiful Homes on HGTV and drinking a huge mug of black coffee.  This is my kind of day.

Saturdays are my favorite, they're almost always filled with some sort of cooking or baking or both.  There's really not much better to me.  I'm feeling like making some blueberry muffins today, I'm not sure why or how that came into my head.  Especially because for the past 4 days I have had the most intense craving for chocolate cake ever with no time to make some, so I figured I would make one today.  But nope, woke up wanting a really good blueberry muffin.  Weird!

So while I contemplate making blueberry muffins, I'm gonna talk a little about one of my favorite things in the world - food blogs.  Since I discovered their existence about a year and a half ago my cooking life has, I'm not being dramatic, done a complete 180.  I've always watched Food Network, so I got a lot of information from there, but having the resources online often with step by step super, super, suuuuuper detailed recipes is just unmatched.  And the creativity by the food bloggers is out of this world, I'm left sitting in front of my computer with my mouth hanging open saying - HOW?



The mac daddy of all food bloggers is The Pioneer Woman aka Ree Drummond, who now has a show on Food Network that airs Saturday at 10am called - you guessed it - Pioneer Woman.  She was the first blog that I discovered and I have yet to try a recipe of hers (and I've tried a million) that isn't completely delicious.  Well, except for a certain Lemon Pasta incident but that was probably our fault...I believe we used twice the amount of lemon juice that we should have.  Whoops! 


I have her first cookbook, her second is available for pre-order on Amazon right now, and you bet I'll be getting that one too.  I want to share 5 of my favorite recipes of hers, I promise these are delicious, and I want you to try them too!


- The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake (it really is)
- Delicious, Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- BBQ Meatballs (put these on slider rolls & they'd be a great Superbowl dish)
- Penne a la Betsy (this gets made a lotttt 'round these parts & there's actually leftovers sitting in my fridge right now)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup


And here's one that I haven't tried yet, but I can't wait to make. . .Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders.  This is the first of many posts about my love of food bloggers (and food).  I regularly visit many food blogs and want to showcase them all here!

Go Giants!

xx Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment