Saturday, March 3, 2012

home.

I'm not quite sure there's a truer statement then this one: I'm obsessed with being home.  Especially after a week of midterms...yeah, definitely obsessed with being home.  I love Rutgers and my apartment there but all the time sometimes it's nice to come back here to be with my family, my DVR, and two months worth of Pioneer Woman's show to catch up on.  Which is exactly what I'm doing right now.  And it's totally delicious.



I live in New Jersey, although it really doesn't seem like it.  We're a really populated state but all around me is not much except mountains, farms, and lots of land.  The small town atmosphere and attitudes of my town are probably more similar to typical Southern values than they are to the rest of New Jersey.  I never really realized just how different it was until I went to college at a university where I hear no less than 3 different languages a day and am surrounded by very little grass.  A definite wake-up call.


Growing up here I, like most young people I'm sure, spent my time counting down the days until I got out.  I complained that this town was boring and there was never anything to do around here.  Two things which have not changed, but my attitude towards them has.  I remember freshman year in college, after being away from my home for a couple of months, I started craving the space and the relaxed-ness that they afforded me growing up.  WHAT?  This was completely not anticipated.  The craving has only intensified as I've spent more time in New Brunswick and less time at home.  A girl who was so sure (seriously, it's all I ever talked about) that she'd move to NYC the first chance she gets and spend the remainder of her life there is suddenly dreaming of wide open spaces and living in a place similar to the town she spent her whole childhood praying she'd get out of.


Does everyone go through this?  It wouldn't surprise me.  All I know is that it did surprise me that I was one of those who followed this path of thought.  I'm still dreaming of living in NYC, that want has not has changed, but what has changed is that in place of picturing myself spending the rest of my life in NYC...I am now having flashes ~ a la Mine ~ of a life on lots of acres in the middle of close-to-no-where.  It's a little confusing.  But I'm rolling with it.  I'm a big planner but I've actually given up attempting to predict the future for myself - you make plans and God laughs in your face are some of the truest words ever spoken.


Instead I'm just going with the flow.  Enjoying my time at home when I can get it, and enjoying my time at Rutgers while I'm still there - I only have 2 1/2 semesters left until I have my B.A. in Communication!!  Where I'll end up after I graduate...I don't even know...and I'm okay with that.  I'd like to be working in Marketing in the city but if I end up on a ranch in Montana, then that's awesome too (I guess??).

today's #marchphotoaday picture is#yourneighborhood, which worked out pretty well...my instragram is msmegquinn :)
The one thing I do know is that there is not much more that I love then baking in the kitchen in this house, so I think that's what I'll do today.  I'm going to visit my Grammy tomorrow and she could probably use some chocolate chip cookies.  So I'm off!

xx Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment